It’s the middle of December. The tree is up and I’m sort of making headway through the present list. So I think it’s the perfect time to share this Christmas Red Velvet Ring Cake with you.
There is something so christmassy about a Red Velvet Cake and this time I’ve baked the cake in one of my favorite baking tins ‘a bundt/ring tin’. This lovely ring shape tin makes it very easy to decorate. A drizzle of cream cheese frosting and you have a “Bundt Christmas Wreath”, though this one is definitely for eating! A great center piece for a Christmas Table.
I use icing bags to simply drizzle the cream cheese frosting over the top. Split the frosting into two bowls and colour half with red colouring paste. I find paste works much better then the little bottles of food colourings you buy in the supermarket, you can pickup the paste in a cake decorating supplies shop or online. The cake is finished off with some edible coloured balls.
This cake may look very difficult but it’s one of the easiest cakes you will ever make, just see for yourself
Make sure you check out my FACEBOOK BAKING PAGE for more easy baking treats.
CHRISTMAS RED VELVET RING CAKE
230g softened unsalted butter
2 tsp white vinegar
2 tsp cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla
285g all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 ounce bottle red food colouring
CREAM CHEESE ICING
60G butter, softened
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
250g icing sugar
Red food colouring
Preheat the oven 180c and spray your ring tin or Bundt tin with a cake spray or brush with melted butter
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add in eggs, one at a time.
- In a small dish, make a paste of the vinegar and cocoa powder, add to batter. Add in vanilla.
- In a separate bowl mix together flour, salt and baking soda.
- Alternating, add flour mixture and buttermilk to batter, starting and ending with flour. Add in food colouring till you get the red colour your happy with
- Spoon batter into tin.
- Bake oven for 50-60 minutes, using a toothpick, test that its done ( when inserted in center of cake it comes out clean). Let cake rest in pan for 30 minutes before inverting on to cooling rack to cool completely.
Cream cheese icing
- Cream together butter and cream cheese until smooth. Slowly add in powdered sugar until all combined and smooth. Split in half and colour one half with some red coloring.
- Place icing in two freezer bags squeezing into one bottom corner. Using scissors, cut off corner of each bag, creating a small hole. Squeeze bag as you drizzle over cake.
Decorate with some edible gems or cake sprinkles