Everyone who knows me will say without any hesitation that I am a coffee addict. I cannot function without at least 5 cups during the day and please don’t even say good morning until I have had my morning cuppa Lol. I’m first in line at my local Starbucks or Costa when any new flavour coffee drinks are released. I especially love all the Christmas Flavours.
So, when the lovely people at Merrys.ie gave me some bottles of their gorgeous Irish Cream Liqueurs to play with – in my case bake. I knew I was going to bake something with coffee. Lets be honest, Irish cream Liqueur and coffee are a perfect combination. So I had five gorgeous flavours to choose from Strawberry, Salted Caramel, White Chocolate, Toffee Buttermint and Original.
Merrys Irish Cream Liqueurs are mostly exported all over the world, but can be bought in Dublin in The Celtic Irish Whiskey Shop. I think online purchases are available too.
Now of course these gorgeous cream liqueurs make delicious drinks. My daughter and I had great fun “taste testing” all of them. We made an “Adult” Strawberry Milkshake with fresh strawberries and a couple of flavored iced coffees. It was getting to the point where I’d be lucky to have any Irish cream liqueurs left to bake with. After a heated discussion it came down to two flavors the strawberry or the salted caramel.
While out shopping i came across a box of the finest Irish Strawberries, hey presto, I knew immediately what I was going to use the Strawberry Irish Cream Liqueur to make. Say hello to my delicious STRAWBERRY MOCHA CUPCAKES.
These Strawberry Mocha Cupcakes are the perfect partnership of chocolate & coffee, and the addition of the Merrys Strawberry Irish Cream Liqueur takes it too another level especially in the amazing whipped cream frosting.
The cake is moist, chocolatey, and made with freshly brewed coffee. So decadent, these cupcakes are a chocolate and coffee lover’s dream come true. I promise you that the combination of strawberries & chocolate is to die for.
I thought about making a fresh strawberry puree for the centre of the cupcakes, but in the end decided to go with adding chopped fresh strawberries directly into the batter along with some strawberry cream liqueur
I love this recipe because it’s so easy to put together. Thanks to my trusty Kitchen Aid Mixer (called Henry Lol). I had these gorgeous cupcakes in the oven in less than 30 minutes. All you need to do is whisk your dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl, then add your liquid ingredients into the dry ones. It’s a simple as that.
Now on to the Crowning Glory of these delicious coffee infused Strawberry Mocha Cupcakes – the Strawberry Whipped Cream frosting
I decided to use strawberry jam in the frosting instead of fresh strawberries because it’s easier and sometimes fresh fruit can cause the cream to split . I also added a few drops of red food colouring to make the colour of the frosting a little pinker, but it’s totally optional and you can certainly leave it out if you wish. Of Course, last but not least – I added 80ml of Strawberry Cream Liqueur into the mix. I whipped it till it was nice and thick – about 3-5 mins. What I got was an “Adult Version “of a childhood favourite of mine Angel Delight.
When the frosting was thick enough to pipe, I used an assortment of piping tips to decorate the cupcakes – that was the fun bit, that and trying very hard not to eat the frosting with a spoon. I swear it is seriously addictive
Deliciously decadent, this Strawberry Mocha, coffee infused chocolate cupcake is sure to be a big hit! I promise you its a chocolate/coffee lover’s dream with a heavenly Strawberry Whipped Cream Frosting.
TIPS TO BAKE THE BEST CUPCAKES:
- Use the best ingredients available and make sure your flour and baking powder is fresh especially if you haven’t baked in a while
- Bring ingredients to room temperature – such as the eggs, butter, milk etc
- Don’t over mix the batter – you want a nice light cupcake.
- Use an ice-cream scoop to fill the cupcake cases about 2/3 full
- Bake in the centre of the oven
- Don’t leave the cupcakes in the tin, otherwise they will keep on baking in the hot tin – After 5 mins cooling time place them on a wire rack.
- Make sure they are completely cool before you frost them
It goes without saying because of the alcohol that this cupcake is one for the Adults only 😉
STRAWBERRY MOCHA CUPCAKES –
Deliciously decadent, these Strawberry Mocha, coffee infused chocolate cupcakes are sure to be a big hit! I promise you they are a chocolate/coffee lover’s dream with a heavenly Strawberry Whipped Cream Frosting.
- METRIC & US CUP MEASUREMENTS
- 250 g plain flour – (2 cups)
- 25 g cocoa powder – (3 tbsp)
- 2 tsp baking powder – (2 tsp)
- 150 g softened butter – (2/3 cup)
- 150 g caster sugar (2/3 cup)
- 2 eggs
- 25 ml full fat milk
- 150 ml strong coffee
- 50 ml Merrys Strawberry Irish Cream Liqueur
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 100 g strawberries chopped small (approx 3/4 cup)
- 500 ml cream (2 cups)
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- 80 ml Merrys strawberry liqueur
- 1 tbsp strawberry jam
- A few drops of pink food colouring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180c/350f. Line muffin tins with cupcake cases and set to one side.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, and mix well between additions.
- Mix together the cold coffee ,liqueur and milk. Set aside.
- Sift flour, salt, baking powder and cocoa together in a medium bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the flour/egg mix and gently whisk together
- Stir in the chopped strawberries. (Coat them in a little flour this prevents them from sinking
- Pour batter , into the cupcake cases until 2/3 full. ( don’t worry it’s not a thick batter)
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean
- Leave to cool in tin for 5mins and then transfer to a wire rack to cool
STRAWBERRY WHIPPED CREAM FROSTING
- Place cream, sugar, liqueur, jam into your mixer and whip until stiff enough to pipe.
- Stir in a few drops of red colouring to get a nice pink colour ( this is totally optional).
- Pipe swirls of cream onto each cupcake
- Serve immediately. Cupcakes that are not eaten within a few hours should be refrigerated.
Serve immediately. Cupcakes that are not eaten within a few hours should be refrigerated.
Recipe by Karyn @irishbakingadventures.com. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
To keep up with all our Baking Adventures and Recipes!
– make sure to follow us on our social media,
so you never miss a post
I also created a brilliant new FACEBOOK GROUP CALLED EVERY DAY BAKING & it’s all about baking, if you want to join your more than welcome. It’s a group where you can share your favorite baking recipes, ask questions, share photos. If you would like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
PIN FOR LATER