Pineapple Upside Down Cake has always been a classic in my house and evokes great memories of many special occasions. My Mum made one for nearly every family occasion, birthdays, christenings, funerals. You would always find my Mum’s special Pineapple Upside Down Cake somewhere on the table.
I love this cake as much as I did in my childhood and have made it many times, it’s a great hit with my kids too.
But the for this recipe I’m going to magically turn the recipe into everybody’s favourite – Cupcakes.
Come on now, who can say no to a cupcake!
These delicious Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes are a mini cute version of their “Big Sister” with all the classic flavours – butter, brown sugar, pineapple, and of course don’t forget the cherry!
This is such a simple recipe; the vanilla sponge cupcake is the perfect base for the glorious caramelised pineapple.
I used my normal sized muffin tin for this recipe, and I used cupcake cases to line the tin. Next time I would leave out the cupcake cases and just really butter the muffin tin well or use a baking spray.
If you happened to have a jumbo muffin tin, this would be even better the pineapple ring would fit perfectly at the bottom, if not just use pineapple chunks or cut the rings into smaller pieces.
I have every cake tin in the world except one of these jumbo muffin tins, so typical lol.
These Pineapple Upside-Down Cupcakes always turn out and look scrumptious too. These would be great for parties, or just to finish off a nice family dinner.
I serve these with warm custard for me and the hubbie . The kids love ice-cream with theirs!
PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CUPCAKES
These delicious Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes are a mini cute version of their “Big Sister” with all the classic flavours – butter, brown sugar, pineapple, and of course “the cherry” sitting proudly on top. A very simple recipe, ready to eat in less than 30mins!
- 110 g Self Raising Flour
- 110 g Butter or Baking Spread
- 110 g Caster Sugar
- 2 med Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tin (540g) Pineapple Chunks
- 2 tbsp Pineapple Juice – taken from tin
- 120 g Brown or Dark Brown Sugar
- 100 g Melted Butter
- 12 Cherries – Maraschino or Glace
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F and line a muffin/cupcake tin with paper cases.
- In a bowl, mix the brown sugar and melted butter together; divide evenly into the paper cases.
- Arrange 3 chunks of pineapple in each case and place a glace cherry in the center
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until a nice pale colour. Beat in the eggs and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Fold in the flour adding the pineapple juice until the mixture is of a dropping consistency.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases on top of the pineapple and until they are about half full.
Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until golden-brown on top and a knife or skewer inserted into one of the cakes comes out clean.
Set aside to cool for 5 minutes, then remove from the tin and cool on a wire rack.
- Remove the paper cases and turn the cakes upside down onto a plate. Serve with some custard or fresh cream
- (If the cupcakes are not level on top use a knife to slice the top off, this will make it easier to serve when you turn them upside down on a plate)
Recipe by firstname.lastname@example.org. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
To keep up with all our Baking Adventures and Recipes!
– make sure to follow us on our social media,
so you never miss a post
I also created a brilliant new FACEBOOK GROUP CALLED EVERY DAY BAKING & it’s all about baking, if you want to join your more than welcome.
It’s a group where you can share your favorite baking recipes, ask questions, share photos. If you would like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
PIN FOR LATER