I love making cupcakes, they can be simple and delicious or extravagant and VERY delicious.
These Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes fall into the second category, but they not so “over the top” that they need a lot of time to put together. These little beauties took about an hour or so from baking to the finished result, thanks to my secret ingredient.
Did you know that a Boston Cream Pie is not actually a Pie, it’s always been a cake. It’s a delicious and light sponge filled with a creamy vanilla pastry filling (creme patisserie), and topped with a chocolate ganache. Back in the day it was baked in a pie tin and you could only buy them in Boston – hence the name Boston Cream Pie.
Now my recipe is neither a pie or a cake, it’s a Cupcake. My kids were the inspiration for this one – they love cupcakes and doughnuts. The Boston Pie Doughnut is a big favourite of theirs. So it will come as no shock that these were a huge hit with everyone.
These cupcakes could not be more simple. I began with a gorgeous vanilla cupcake recipe. I used a teaspoon to scoop out the middle and then fill it with my secret ingredient Ready Made Creme Patisserie. I got mine in Marks & Spencer in the baking aisle.
Of course the crowning glory is a swirl of Whipped Chocolate Ganache
It’s simple enough to make your on creme patisserie, it just takes time – up to 2 hours to cook and cool . On this occasion I didn’t have the time to do that , so the ready-made version was the perfect substitution. The cupcakes are then piped with a yummy whipped chocolate ganache.
If you are not stuck for time and you want to try making your own “Creme Patisserie” then try this recipe.
BOSTON CREAM PIE CUPCAKES
A simple but scrumptious bake – These Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes are so easy to bake, a simple vanilla cupcake filled with a creme patisserie and topped with a swirl of whipped chocolate ganache. Heaven in a cupcake.
- 175 g butter – softened ((3/4 cup US))
- 175 g self-rising flour (1 1/3 cup US))
- 175 g caster sugar (3/4 cup +2tbs US))
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
READY MADE CREME PATISSERIE
WHIPPED CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- 225 g dark chocolate
- 250 ml double cream (1 cup US)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
Pre-heat the oven to 180C/365F.
- Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cupcake cases.
- Place all the ingredients into a large bowl and beat with an electric hand whisk until nice and smooth.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the paper cases.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cakes are well risen and firm on top.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
WHIPPED CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- Chop your chocolate into small pieces and place in a bowl.
- Put your cream in a pot over a low/medium heat.
- Heat the cream to a simmering point. DO NOT BOIL THE CREAM
- Pour the cream over the chocolate, add the vanilla (if using) and leave to melt for 5mins
- With an electric hand mixer, whisk the cream mixture until smooth and silky.
- Put the ganache in the refrigerator for about 1 hour to firm up.
- Put the ganache in the bowl of a stand mixer fit with a whisk attachment or use a hand mixer and whip the ganache on medium/high speed until light and fluffy, perfect to pipe with. This will take about 5 minutes.
- Put the ganache into a piping bag and pipe delicious gorgeous swirls over the top of each cupcake
If you don’t like piping then just use a spoon to pile the whipped chocolate ganache on top. It will be just as delicious
Please not all US measurements are approximate!
To keep up with all our Baking Adventures and Recipes!
– make sure to follow us on our social media,
so you never miss a post
I also created a brilliant new FACEBOOK GROUP CALLED EVERY DAY BAKING & it’s all about baking, if you want to join your more than welcome.
It’s a group where you can share your favorite baking recipes, ask questions, share photos. If you would like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.