This Halloween I decided to give an old classic “The Halloween Barm Brack” a little twist.
So say hello to my BARM BRACK MUFFINS and yes there is a ring hidden in one of them – there are some traditions you don’t mess with! I wrapped the ring in baking paper and pressed it down into the muffin batter before putting it in to the oven. If you prefer you could press it in to the hot muffin after it’s baked.. the choice is yours
This recipe is super easy to put together, has all the flavour of a “normal” Bram Brack – but best of all these delicious muffins only take 20 mins in a hot oven to bake.
If you would like to know more about Irish Halloween Traditions then check out this brilliant article
IRISH BARM BRACK MUFFINS
200g self-raising flour (1 + 3/4 cup) US
1/4tsp baking powder
150g mixed dried fruit (1+ 1/4cup) US
1/4 tsp cinnamon, ground
1/2tsp mixed spice
250ml cold tea (1 CUP) US
75g brown sugar (1/4 CUP) US
25g caster sugar ( 2 TBSP US)
100ml sunflower oil/veg oil
1 x ring for hiding in muffin (NOT PLASTIC)
In Advance – soak the dried fruit in the cold tea for 2-3 hours or overnight if you have the time
1. Preheat fan oven to 180c/350c
2. Put muffin cases into a muffin pan or cupcake tin
3. Using a jug whisk together eggs, oil, milk & sugar & cold tea from soaked dried fruit
4. Sift together the flour, baking powder & spices. Pour the liquid mixture onto the flour
5. Stir in any dried fruit and mix gently with a wooden spoon.. DON’T OVER MIX
6. Spoon into muffin cases – Cover the ring with a small piece of baking paper and press gently into one of the muffins.
7. Bake for 20 mins. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 mins and then remove to a wire tray
To keep up with all our Baking Adventures and Recipes!
– make sure to follow us on our social media,
so you never miss a post